Thursday 11 September 2014

The Highs and Lows of Moving Out


I have been living on my own for over a year now and the experience has been life changing for me. I am not actually living in the apartment alone, I'm living with a friend's sister but we barely know each other so you can consider us just acquaintances. We each have our own room and have opposite work schedules that we literally don't see each other. Nevertheless, I've learned a lot and found appreciation for things I usually take for granted.



A lot of young adults nowadays seek the freedom of leaving the nest and taking flight onto the real world. It's great to have the mindset to look and experience freedom but take heed that that freedom also entails huge responsibility. There are a lot of factors to consider before moving out and trying to live it out alone.



So before you pack your bags and haul your belongings, here are a few things to consider before taking that plunge.


1. Am I able to take care of myself?



Gone are the days when you would just roll out of bed and ask "Hey Mom or Hey Dad, what's for breakfast?" Say goodbye to the days when you could just drop your dirty laundry into the hamper and then get clean clothes the next day. While it seems take-out, fast food and instant noodles can sustain your daily hunger needs, it will not sustain your daily nutritional ones. And buying them will not only add up on your body but also add up to your daily expenses. Same goes for laundry, sure you can just drop them by at the nearest laundromat but let's face it, unless you're making big bucks, spending money on laundromat is another thing you might want to cross off your expenses.

2. Which leads us to the second one, finances.



When you have a paying job and are living with your folks, it is expected that you chip in with the bills. Whether it be electricity, water or just buying the groceries, it is expected that we try to help out. If you're strapped for cash that month you can always talk to your folks and promise to pay your end come the next paycheck. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with your landlord. Monthly budgets will become a necessity. And you're now looking at the price by the hours you work, is that shirt really worth the eight hours in the office? Every bill; electric, water, phone, and credit card will be the bane of your existence.

3. Health Issues



Doctor and dentist appointment may be ignored frequently because there's no mom or dad to nag you to go to your scheduled appointment (which, by the way, they set up for you). When you have the flu, no mom to cook chicken noodle soup and no dad to run to drugstore to buy you your medicine. You're going to have to suck it up to buy your own meds and, if you're still up for it (I doubt you will), cook your own chicken noodle soup.

4.  Safety Concern



I had an incident in our apartment wherein somebody was trying to pick the lock while I was still inside! I held the doorknob and switched on the lights outside. The person left , only taking half of our doorknob. But I was terrified! Since then we had the door double locked and deadbolted. Living alone means that every bang on the door could be an intruder and a burglar could very well be lurking on the street.

If it all seems a little daunting, then try it with a roommate first and then see how that boat sails for you. But if you think you're ready, then by all means, spread your wings and take flight! 


What I love since I moved out:

1. I can wear sweats all day long or even better just my undies! ^_^

2. I can binge eat on ice cream once in a while and no one to share it with.

3. Lay around all day on my bed, watching movies and TV series with no one to answer to.

4. I can wake up whenever I want without someone calling me a lazy potato.

5. I cab leave my bed unmade without someone nagging about it.

6. I can go out with my friends as late as I want.

7. Never have to wait to take a shower or use the loo.



Moving out certainly taught me a lot. It taught me the value of money and what they meant when they said to save every cent. You never know when you may need it. I learned to budget and manage my finances on my own. And moving out made me appreciate family more. I miss the daily banters, arguments, and simple kind gestures. I get homesick once in a while when I wake up to the sound of silence instead of my grandma's daily nags or my nephew's laughter. I've learned to take care of myself cooking food, doing the laundry, buying groceries and the like. 

And hey, if it doesn't work out, you can move back in with your folks and that will not make you a lesser person. You can always try again, just don't make it a habit.


All photo credits go to respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment